A comprehensive and coordinated plan to reduce criminal gang activity in Florida.
Become informed about Gang Reduction Task Force efforts in your region.
Learn how to recognize gang activity and prevent gang involvement among youth.
Why Young People Join Gangs?
This depends on the socioeconomic background of the youth and other life events or experiences in a youth’s background. Some of the reasons for joining a gang include:
- A sense of belonging, and the feeling of being cared about
- A need for recognition, prestige or power
- The desire for fun and excitement
- A place for friendship or brotherhood
- A place for structure, discipline, and training
- A sense of self-worth and status
- The need for physical protection/security
- The belief that it is a way to make a lot of money fast
- Media glorification of the gang lifestyle
- A family tradition
- What Is a Gang?
- How Are Gangs Identified?
- Gang Types
- How Do Gangs Recruit Their Members?
- Common Gang Initiations
- How Old Are Gang Members?
- Major Factors That May Contribute To Youth Gang Involvement
- Warning Signs That Your Child May Be Involved with a Gang
- What Can Parents Do To Prevent Gang Involvement?
- What Are Some School-based Anti-Gang Strategies?
- What Are Some Community Anti-Gang Strategies?
- Common Myths About Gangs
- How Do I Report Gang Activity?