The committee will be headed by a leader in the prevention and/or intervention field. The committee’s charge is to assess the prevention and intervention programs and services currently available in the community, establish valid criteria to determine their effectiveness pertaining to the targeted population, and provide recommendations for additional programs, services, and other needed resources.
- The committee will focus on the following objectives at a minimum:
- Expose Florida’s gangs and their activities for their violent and destructive reality.
- Educate youth, parents and other mentoring adults to help Florida’s youth reject gang involvement.
- Mobilize communities to repel gang appeal to Florida’s youth.
- Provide effective prevention/intervention programs for those youth who are the most likely targets of gang recruitment and identified young gang members.
- Encourage and assist the creation of positive extracurricular activities and workforce development programs for Florida’s at-risk youth.
- Support existing and new community groups/coalitions that take a stand against criminal gangs.
- Add additional objectives as the Regional Gang Reduction Strategy Task Force leadership deems appropriate to carryout Florida’s Gang Reduction Strategy within the region.