A comprehensive and coordinated plan to reduce criminal gang activity in Florida.
Become informed about Gang Reduction Task Force efforts in your region.
Learn how to recognize gang activity and prevent gang involvement among youth.
What Can Parents Do To Prevent Gang Involvement?
- Be Aware
- Know who your children's friends are; learn real names of your children's friends, get to know their families
- Be a good observer - pay attention to your child's behavior
- Know about who and what influences your kids
- Pay attention to the music they listen to, the video games they play, the television and movies they watch
- Monitor internet activity, including internet social networking activity
- Monitor cell phone usage, text messaging, and other forms of communication with their friends
- Know what your children are doing at all times
- Seek the facts - kids will tell you what you want to hear
- Learn about gangs and drugs
- Do Not Tolerate Drugs and Violence
- Do not allow them to wear gang attire
- Monitor living space for gang paraphernalia, weapons, and drugs
- Do not allow your children to 'hang out' in the streets or mall
- Be very suspicious of gang writing, graffiti, or tattoos
- Encourage anti-gang attitudes at home
- Set clear limits - follow through with discipline if they break the rules
- Report all crimes
- Be Pro-Active
- Become involved with your children and spend quality time with them
- Strive for good communication between you and your children, talk and listen to them
- Praise you children for doing well
- Provide supervised recreational and leisure-time activities for youngsters; encourage your children to participate in positive activities; involve your children in positive group activities
- Teach your children decision making skills - help them make the right choices
- Put a high value on education; participate in your child's education-find out what's happening at school
- Get involved in your community and school affairs
- Set the example for your kids, they will do what you do
- Identify with positive role models
- Believe in your children
- What Is a Gang?
- How Are Gangs Identified?
- Gang Types
- How Do Gangs Recruit Their Members?
- Common Gang Initiations
- Why Young People Join Gangs?
- How Old Are Gang Members?
- Major Factors That May Contribute To Youth Gang Involvement
- Warning Signs That Your Child May Be Involved with a Gang
- What Are Some School-based Anti-Gang Strategies?
- What Are Some Community Anti-Gang Strategies?
- Common Myths About Gangs
- How Do I Report Gang Activity?